Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pro-Weed Demonstration

After we were finished we heard some organized cheering and a commotion. Travis ran up to see what was going on. On Omotesando Dr. near the Harajuku station, a group of 100 people or less were marching down the street and yelling in Japanese. It took me a while to figure out what they were protesting/advocating. With signs in English like "stop the war" I thought it was an anti-war demonstration.

Haha, I was totally wrong. They were demonstrating to legalize marijuana. They had cardboard weed cutouts and signs promoting its legalization.

I was definitely not expecting to see that on one of the streets with the nicest high-end designer brands. It was obvious that a lot of the Japanese people were surprised by it too. Pretty interesting. This is by far the first political demonstration I have seen here.

No comments:

Post a Comment