Monday, May 4, 2009

Shibamata

Travis and I went to Shibamata Saturday. This will prob somewhat of a repeat of his blog, since he posted about it before me. But here it is from my perspective.

I love the old areas of Tokyo. It reminds me of the city's humble roots. There is something satisfying about buying directly from the people who are making their specialty sembe, dango, or whatever their product is. I have never been that crazy about food, but Tokyo is changing my mind. I can definitely not say I am a foodie, but it is so fun to find delicious snacks/desserts sold at obscure small stands. The fact that you can see the people flipping the sembe over a fire is crazy. I am so used to the disconnect between food and the people behind it, this whole experience as been refreshing.



We bought some of the best dango I have ever had. Soo delicious. The shop was really traditional. I wish there was a better way to explain it, but there's not really anything I can compare it to. Really nice too, because there are few tourists in this area. I feel like it takes away from the experience when a bunch of gaijin are all over the place. Also found a place that sells really fresh handmade hard candies. I usually don't eat hard candy, but this was so good. It was almost a little soft because it was just made. Sugary, yet light, not an overpowering flavor. Perfect!

1 comment:

  1. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhh. I want to eat some dango!

    ReplyDelete