Monday, April 13, 2009

A Cog in the Machine

I've never felt the feeling before, but the Monday morning commute did it to me. With swarms of people scurrying to the train station, we dressed the same, looked the same, were off in the same direction for the same purpose. To the city...to work for the man. It was an unbelievably depressing feeling. Just a cog in the machine.

The commute was ridiculous. People were packed into the train cars tighter than I had ever seen. Men dressed in suits, ladies with heels. Off to work. Another day, another dime.

Trains would be stuffed full of people and after every nook was filled it was off. One after another. It felt like we were getting shipped off the assembly line. Ready to function, to work our little hearts out.

When the train door would open, you could feel the heat and sweat escaping. You turn around, literally back in, and claim your foot area. That's the only thing that's yours. From your feet up, the rest of the space is free game.

At one point I was in a huge line. I was in the middle of it and was thinking I wouldn't make it on the next train. Our whole line shoved itself into the car. You just flow with the crowds. Thankfully my stops are the busy ones. You don't even have to move, everyone shuffles in one blob. You just pray that they are going where you want to go.

Its lucky I'm not claustrophobic, but I nearly had a panic attack on the train this morning anyway. Its one of those things. "Just let it be fast," you think to yourself.

This is my life. My hour commute. 8-9 am Monday through Friday for the next 4 months. I don't think it's something you get used to. I think it's something you just learn to put up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment